Hey everyone! I’m excited to announce that Dungeon Scrawl is now part of Roll20! 🪄
Dungeon Scrawl is a mapmaking tool that, when combined together with Roll20, enables GMs and players to create maps in real-time: a true zero-prep solution. This combination of map making tool and VTT will be the first of its kind. Check out this little demo that shows how this could change the way we play for the better!
It stands out among other map builders because it is simple, accessible, versatile, and elegant. Play with it yourself for five minutes and you’ll see what I mean: https://app.dungeonscrawl.com/.
Separately, these two tools are great. Together, we think they will be phenomenal. When surveyed, over half of Dungeon Scrawl users asked for a VTT integration. We’ll be able to build the first real-time mapmaking tool designed for use during play. Imagine creating a dungeon WHILE you’re exploring it with your tokens!
Here are some other ideas (and they’re still only ideas!) we have to combine Dungeon Scrawl and Roll20:
- Seamless map exports to Roll20 games
- A shared library of images and scenes/maps
- Cloud storage for maps
- … so much more to come
Ultimately, we want to enable GMs and their players to tell dynamic, exciting, and unforgettable stories together. The tools they use should facilitate those moments, not get in the way. Now with Dungeon Scrawl, we can introduce new and exciting ways to play that feel easy.
This won’t happen right away. We need time to finish what we’ve started on the VTT. In the meantime, here is what this means today:
- Dungeon Scrawl’s free features will remain available to everyone for free on dungeonscrawl.com. That means unlimited maps, exports to .png, isometric support, and more.
- You can still use dungeonscrawl.com like you did yesterday. Everything we love about the tool (its simplicity, design, and depth) will remain unchanged.
- Keir is continuing to work on Dungeon Scrawl with Roll20 to help us realize this vision.
Roll20 power users know me well from the forums – my design philosophy is centered around user feedback. As always, we want to hear from you about what you hope to see from this partnership! Over the next week, myself and Keir are doing an AMA on the Roll20.net forums. Please feel free to post your questions and comments there now, and we’ll build the future of Dungeon Scrawl together.
That’s all for now. Happy mapmaking!