Associate Developer, Character Sheets
Roll20 is a free, community-based tabletop gaming software dedicated to bringing players together regardless of distance, experience, gaming system or hardware. We strive to lessen the technical burden on the participants, facilitate the formation of new gaming groups, and to make barriers to entry as few as possible when gathering around a table for camaraderie. To accomplish these goals we seek to create a service that is sustainable and will be a resource to the gaming community as long as it is needed.
Our 8 million players and the growing popularity of tabletop games have made Roll20 such an amazing success. Moving forward, there are so many directions we can take. We believe that in order to continue enhancing our platform, expanding our community, and leading in our industry, we need talented coders to help us iterate and innovate.
Roll20 is looking for someone to bring curiosity and passion to this role. Associate Developers at Roll20 work on cross-functional teams to write and maintain code that drives the premiere Virtual Tabletop in tabletop gaming. You’ll have an opportunity to work with a diverse team of developers and specialists; hone and gain skills that will advance your career as a coder. As a specialist in Character Sheet development you will hone your UI programming skills, build intuitive and innovative sheets for a multitude of gaming systems, and build applications and tools to improve the process of creating sheets and the experience for players.
THE SKILL SET
- Education, experience or portfolio that demonstrates skill and knowledge in developing frontend web applications.
- Familiarity with tools and approaches for investigating and fixing bugs.
- Familiarity with automated test concepts and best practices.
- Familiarity with version control tools.
- Familiarity with web server development and RESTful APIs in NodeJS or Ruby.
- Passion for tabletop roleplaying games and/or board games
- Experience or ability to quickly learn game mechanics and systems, either in tabletop roleplaying, board games, etc.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL:
- Complete orientation, become familiar with the codebase, the product, and learn Roll20’s values.
- Learn how we work in cross-functional teams and the charters that guide each teams’ work.
- Learn how to work in Zendesk in order to provide support for technical hepdesk tickets.
- Learn how to navigate JIRA.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Bring your skill and knowledge as a coder to your cross-functional team(s)
- You will learn how agile methodologies are used at Roll20 and how to work on a cross-functional team.
- Complete sprints and tasks that require writing and maintaining our codebase.
- Learn how to document and conduct basic QA testing of your code.
- You will learn how to work with wireframing tools.
- Use your skill and knowledge as a coder to communicate technical details to others (internal and external) who may not be familiar.
- Use your familiarity with game systems to help teammates understand rule systems and how they might best be expressed in an interactive character sheet.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Become proficient in key programming languages and frameworks
- Backend: NodeJS and/or Ruby (Express, Padrino, Sinatra)
- RESTful API patterns
- Learn how to use the product(s) such as the Virtual Table Top, mobile app, and other site tools.
- Learn how to build automated QA tests
- Have opportunities to learn industry best practices for coding.
- Learn programming languages that advance both your skill and your ability as a coder
- Begin to drive change to the character sheet creation process to improve functionality and decrease iteration time.
SALARY RANGE: $60,000USD - $85,000 USD
Roll20 staff, via coordination with Ritsuko Lifts LLC, are guided by company values that encourage diversity and inclusiveness. In line with company values, we provide competitive salaries and solid benefit packages, including health insurance, group life and personal accident insurance, short-term disability/long-term disability coverage, optional worksite insurance coverage, an employee assistance program, and a 401k with employer matching. We ensure staff have at least 3 weeks of vacation time away, in addition to sick leave, and flexible scheduling. We are a truly remote workplace (although we hope to get everyone together for a full company retreat once seeing people IRL is a safe thing again) and include equipment allowances for our staff to cultivate a functional working-from-home experience. We encourage applicants with non-traditional backgrounds to apply.