Remote Position - US
Roll20 is looking for an Associate Software Developer who is curious, creative, tenacious, and resourceful. Associate Developers at Roll20 work on cross-functional teams to write and maintain code for a platform of over 11 million TTRPG players. You’ll have an opportunity to hone and gain skills that will advance your career as a coder, collaborating directly with our product managers, designers, and QA. We’re eager to accept folks with a bit of experience or right out of school or bootcamps.
THE SKILL SET
- Education, experience or portfolio that demonstrates skill and knowledge in developing frontend web applications.
- Familiarity with tools and approaches for investigating and fixing bugs
- Familiarity with automated test concepts and best practices.
- Familiarity with version control tools.
- Familiarity with web server development and RESTful APIs in NodeJS or Ruby.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL:
- Complete orientation, become familiar with the codebase, the product, and learn Roll20’s values.
- Learn how we work in cross-functional teams and the charters that guide each teams’ work.
- Learn how to work in Zendesk in order to provide support for technical helpdesk tickets.
- Learn how to navigate JIRA.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Bring your skill and knowledge as a coder to your cross-functional team(s)
- You will learn how agile methodologies are used at Roll20 and how to work on a cross-functional team.
- Complete sprints and tasks that require writing and maintaining our codebase.
- Learn how to document and conduct basic QA testing of your code.
- You will learn how to work with wireframing tools.
- Use your skill and knowledge as a coder to communicate technical details to others (internal and external) who may not be familiar.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Become proficient in key programming languages and frameworks
- Backend: NodeJS and/or Ruby (Express, Padrino, Sinatra)
- RESTful API patterns
- Learn how to use Roll20’s products ranging from the VTT to Marketplace and other site tools.
- Learn how to build automated QA tests
- Have opportunities to learn industry best practices for coding.
- Learn programming languages that advance both your skill and your ability as a coder
SALARY: $60,000USD - $85,000USD
Roll20 staff are guided by company values that encourage diversity and inclusiveness. In line with our company values, we provide competitive salaries and comprehensive benefit packages, including health insurance, group life and personal accident insurance, short-term disability/long-term disability coverage, optional worksite insurance coverage, an employee assistance program, and 401k with employer matching. We ensure staff have at least three weeks of vacation time away, in addition to sick leave and flexible scheduling. We are a truly remote workplace and include equipment allowances for our staff to cultivate a functional working-from-home experience. We encourage applicants with non-traditional backgrounds to apply.