Roll20 is looking for someone to bring curiosity and passion to our Developer role. Developers at Roll20 work on cross-functional teams to write and maintain code that drives the premiere VTT in tabletop gaming. You’ll have an opportunity to work with a diverse team of developers and specialists; hone and gain skills that will advance your career as a coder. We will consider all applications, but our preference for this position is for an individual based in the U.S.
THE SKILL SET
- Experience and portfolio that demonstrates knowledge developing end-to-end web applications.
- Strong experience with Node.js
- Experience with tools and approaches for investigating and fixing bugs
- Experience working with and building automated tests.
- Experience with version control tools.
- Familiarity with any of the following:
- Google Cloud Platform
- WebGL (three.js)
- Ruby (especially Sinatra, Padrino frameworks), web server development and RESTful apis
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL:
- Complete orientation, become familiar with the codebase, the product, and learn Roll20’s values.
- Learn how we work in cross-functional teams and the charters that guide each teams’ work.
- Learn how to work in Zendesk (such as to respond to XP technical tickets)
- Learn how to work in JIRA
- Learn the roles and skill sets of other developers and be able to find best advice/information for yourself and others.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Bring your skill and knowledge as a coder to your cross-functional team(s)
- You will learn how agile methodologies are used at Roll20 and how to work on a cross-functional team.
- Complete sprints and tasks that require writing and maintaining our codebase.
- Write learn how to document and conduct basic QA testing of your code.
- Learn how to build automated QA tests
- You will learn how to work with wireframing tools.
- Use your skill and knowledge as a coder to communicate technical details to others (internal and external) who may not be familiar.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Learn new languages and frameworks as needed to achieve product goals.
- Learn how to use the product(s) such as the VTT, mobile app, and other site tools.
- Have opportunities to learn industry best practices for coding.
- Learn programming languages that advance both your skill and your ability as a coder
- Learn industry best practices for coding and other guidelines as adopted by Roll20.
- Take on work and projects that allow you to increase your depth of skill and knowledge as a coder.
SALARY RANGE: $75,000USD - $90,000USD
Roll20 staff are guided by company values that encourage diversity and inclusiveness. In line with company values, we provide competitive salaries and solid benefit packages, including health insurance, group life and personal accident insurance, short-term disability/long-term disability coverage, optional worksite insurance coverage, an employee assistance program, and a 401k with employer matching. We ensure staff have at least 3 weeks of vacation time away, in addition to sick leave, and flexible scheduling. We are a truly remote workplace (although we hope to get everyone together for a full company retreat once seeing people IRL is a safe thing again) and include equipment allowances for our staff to cultivate a functional working-from-home experience. We encourage applicants with non-traditional backgrounds to apply.