Remote Position - US & Canada
Roll20 is looking for someone to bring curiosity and passion to our Senior BabylonJS Developer role. Developers at Roll20 work on cross-functional teams to write and maintain code that drives the premiere VTT in tabletop gaming. You’ll have an opportunity to work with a diverse team of developers and specialists; hone and gain skills that will advance your career as a coder.
THE SKILL SET
- Education, experience or portfolio that demonstrates expertise with web based realtime graphics engines (eg BabylonJS)
- Experience with GLSL shaders
- Experience with tools and approaches for investigating and fixing bugs and performance issues
- Experience with automated test concepts and best practices.
- Experience with version control tools.
- Experience with Agile methodologies.
Familiarity with any of the following a plus:
- Frameworkless WebGL
- A passion for Tabletop Roleplaying Games is a strong plus.
WITHIN 1 MONTH, YOU’LL:
- Complete orientation, become familiar with the product, and learn Roll20’s values.
- Learn how we work in cross-functional teams and the charters that guide each teams’ work.
- Learn how to work in Zendesk (such as to respond to XP technical tickets)
- Learn the roles and skill sets of other developers and be able to find best advice/information for yourself and others.
- Familiarize yourself with the existing codebase and understand our technical improvement plans in the VTT space.
WITHIN 3 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Bring your skill and knowledge as a coder to one of our Virtual Tabletop development teams, contributing substantially to Virtual Tabletop Interaction and Rendering.
- Work in a team using Agile methodologies, complete sprints and tasks that require writing and maintaining our codebase.
- Document your code and provide feedback on other developers documentation
- Write QA and automated tests and help maintain test suites (Jest and Cypress)
- Contribute to and utilize components from our design system (Storybook).
- Use your skill and knowledge as a coder to communicate technical details to others (internal and external) who may not be familiar.
WITHIN 6 MONTHS, YOU’LL:
- Plan architecture and work with a team of mid and junior engineers to create new and innovative Virtual Tabletop features.
- Work with other senior Virtual Tabletop development peers to craft best practices and identify new technologies and processes to integrate into our work.
- Learn and play a variety of tabletop roleplaying games
- Engage with Roll20 users as an expert and help them understand our development process
- Proactively champion code quality and software performance on teams, including driving alerting, monitoring, and test automation initiatives.
SALARY: $90,000 USD - $110,000 USD
Roll20 staff are guided by company values that encourage diversity and inclusiveness. In line with our company values, we provide competitive salaries and comprehensive benefit packages, including health insurance, group life and personal accident insurance, short-term disability/long-term disability coverage, optional worksite insurance coverage, an employee assistance program, and 401k with employer matching. We ensure staff have at least three weeks of vacation time away, in addition to sick leave and flexible scheduling. We are a truly remote workplace and include equipment allowances for our staff to cultivate a functional working-from-home experience. We encourage applicants with non-traditional backgrounds to apply.